Sunday, December 22, 2013

Giving Birth to an Empty Uterus.

Recently I had been having this issue, not a femergency necessarily, but still a feminine issue I needed to get checked out by the Gyno Doc.  I went.  She checked me out and said, well I didn't find anything, but just to be sure, let's do an ultrasound to have a better look at your woman parts.  So I did.  I had never had one before.  The technician put the gelatinous stuff on my lower belly and expertly placed the blunted wand above my nethers.  And Waaa!  there was my uterus on the screen in front of me, and Waaa!  there were my ovaries too.  My uterus was empty.  My ovaries were... eh, oval.

Hi You, its Us!, Uterus and Oval Ovaries sang in chorus as they stared back at me.

They looked okay, the radiant technician noted, nothing alarming here.  Thank the Lord.

I sort of pranced out of the doctor's office glad to have that over, deeply grateful for the good news, and deeply grateful to still have some medical insurance.  As the week proceeded, however, the vision of my empty uterus began to plague me.  Popping up in my thoughts.  A vision in the back of my head.  There is something profound about seeing that at 37 years old.  My feelings and ideas are still inchoate, but there is something really rich and melancholy about it.  I am yet unable to articulate what is going on with me about it.

So I began painting... Uterus and Oval Ovaries are me and I am them.

"Empty Uterus"



So far its called Empty Uterus.  But I'm not done, and maybe it should be called Empty Uterus, Full Life.  I don't know yet.

3 comments:

  1. Helloooo in there! Ah, the nether regions, they do cause consternation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, there is something kinda lonely about an empty uterus, isn't there? I think about that, too. The painting is so Frida Kahlo-ish. Very nice. You have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have so many ways to express yourself. I like Empty Uterus, Full Life--go with that.

    ReplyDelete