Tuesday, October 8, 2013

"Second Wind" by Kimberly "Redefining Freedom" McCrae.

I didn't just read the following poem, I savored it.


The moon reminded me that I was once a dreamer
Was once all
“Once upon a time…”
and
“Happily ever after…”
was long walks on spring mornings
and soulful duets with the water
I was an ounce of southern comfort
With a dash of Brooklyn flair
And every gospel anthem in between
Was never skinny jeans
But was bell bottoms
And a high wedge sandal
With painted toes
On bridges built into the sculpted arch of a foot
From tank tops
To turtle necks
I was someone’s wish upon a star
And I knew that home
Was where the heart was
So I had oft found a temporary dwelling place
But never yet found a permanent home
I was sexy
That’s what the moon said
As the clouds laughed until they cried
Remembering my 5 inch heel sashay
Coaxing cobblestone into catwalk
I was hips
And lips
And fingertips
With brains
And fame
And his last name
I was Ms.
Just in case he was not Mr.
And he
Was only he
When I let him
I was fine
Not like wine
But like a vintage car made new
Was hair
Lots of hair
That waved and kinked and curled
And never asked permission
to dance in the breeze
I was mambo
And samba
A ballroom dance in an embroidered gown
I was sipping wine on a fire escape
Counting playful stars
flirtatiously winking at me
I was city streetlights
With subway rumble
And tokens to take you
On a ride to eternity
I was beef patty and coco bread
With peach cobbler
and pink lemonade
I was eclectic
I was forever
Was forever and a day
Was no apologies
And no strings attached
A ferry ride
leaving here
Going there
A romantic moment
Hiding in the charm of a smile
I was it
When it was my turn
I crossed my legs
Sipping on starlight
And the moon agreed
It will soon be my turn again

Copyrighted 2013, Kimberly "Redefining Freedom" McCrae

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I loved that. I kept waiting and waiting for the twist, and it came. Love that last line, that it will soon be my turn, again. Love it, and you, mujer. Read my blog. I wrote something today. I'm sorry we haven't talked. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete